RE: Table Width/Heights

by Nathan <natelyle(at)chartermi.net>

 Date:  Wed, 13 Feb 2002 22:27:08 -0500
 To:  kpollara(at)comcast.net
 Cc:  HWG Techniques Email List <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
>table and cell heights, I have been pondering this question for a long time.
>I used to use them until I found that sometimes they don't work well.  For
>example, if you have an absolute height for a table and the user changes the
>font size.  The box will not be large enough or can actually be much too
>large.
>So I'd like to know if you think this is crazy but I always delete all
>height attributes in my tables even though as a Dreamweaver user, I find
>them in my tables all the time.  And I've had no complaints about this since
>I started this practice.

I don't think it's crazy. This may be, though, because I've done the same
thing in DW or FP generated code. The only time I really use table widths
is if I want to scale something across multiple screen sizes (centering the
contents) and the only time I use height is if I want something against the
bottom of the browser window. I've never really used width or height in the
sense of boxing something in (with the hopes of that something being the
same for every viewer.)

~Nathan Lyle
E-mail: natelyle(at)chartermi.net
Web: http://www.nathanlyle.com
Phone: (906)485-4806

"The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend." - Henri
Bergson (1859-1941) - French philosopher