Re: Business Question

by Nathan <natelyle(at)chartermi.net>

 Date:  Tue, 5 Feb 2002 00:13:21 -0500
 To:  "Brandon Coughlin" <bcoughlin(at)urx.com>
 Cc:  HWG Techniques Email List <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
<Brandon>
>It seems to me that a web designer has an ethical responsibility to be
>concerned whether or not a business is legitimate, and that they aren't
>conducting business illegally.

This isn't *directly* related, but kinda is I suppose. (And other people
have already said the only thing I would have anyway.) But, I had thoughts
along these lines a while back when I was approached by a member of the
Arian Church (or a member of some part of it anyway) to redesign their site
and work with them to make it better. I was very confident I *could* do
that, the site they had was very unprofessional and sloppy. I actually
spent a week or two debating whether or not to take the job. I don't
believe that as a web designer I have to "buy into" whatever
message/product a site conveys, my job is just to make the best
presentation/function that I can. But, I found I had to draw the line with
the Arian folks and refuse the job because I didn't think I would be happy
with myself if I helped promote a message of hate.

This is more along the lines of ethics than legality... but I'd be curious
if anyone else has been in a similar situation and what they may have done.

~Nathan Lyle
E-mail: natelyle(at)chartermi.net
Web: http://www.nathanlyle.com
Phone: (906)485-4806

"Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're
not. In either case the idea is quite staggering." - Arthur C. Clarke.