Re: Netscape 6 / Javascript

by Nathan <natelyle(at)chartermi.net>

 Date:  Thu, 18 Apr 2002 16:32:50 -0400
 To:  HWG Techniques Email List <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
<David>
>Of course, I don't see any content on the page besides
>quote and the nicely-done M-A YF nav bar. From
>looking at the source, I guess there isn't any content yet?

Right. :)  I figured I'd try to solve the problem before I complicate it
with more stuff.

>Don't be confused. Neither IE5 nor Opera 5, nor earlier
>versions of NS, are as standards-compliant as IE6,
>Mozilla, and NS6. I expect a number of scripts
>(especially older ones) to break on the new browsers.
>So something that works in IE5/NS4/Opera 5 might not
>necessarily work in the new browsers.

I would expect the same, however, Netscape isn't even loading the external
javascript file, much less tyring to do anything with it. (I tried
including a simple "alert('hi');" line at the top of the file to see if it
was getting loaded, and it wasn't.)

>Doesn't seem to happen with NS6.22 on my daughter's
>W2K system at home. Might be specific to the Mac
>version, though - I know of one Mozilla bug that only
>afflicts the Windows version.

Hmm. It might be a Mac Netscape 6.x bug thing. I'll have to go check out
their site and see if they have anything documented about it.

~Nathan Lyle

E-mail: natelyle(at)chartermi.net
Web: http://www.nathanlyle.com
Phone: (906)485-4806

"The idea of a mistake is beside the point, for once anything happens it
authentically is." - John Cage