Re: Screen Resolution (was Layers Problem)

by Kevin Dail <kddm(at)worldnet.att.net>

 Date:  Wed, 31 May 2000 14:05:37 -0400
 To:  hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Most of the people in my office use Windows terminals whose
>resolution is still
>set at 640x480 because they have to get a sysadmin to change it for
>them.  Many
>don't know it can be changed, and some that do just like everything
>to be really
>big.  And my company did about $700 million in sales last year, so
>it's not like
>we're a mom-and-pop shop.  Know your audience before you go excluding anyone.
>My personal feeling is that things can look like crap for them (the low res
>crowd), but it should all fit on screen without horizontal scrolling.  But
>that's because I know that my users (our customers) are running
>everything from
>640x480 to 1600x1200.
>
>Mike Eovino
>E-commerce and Customer Development Manager
>Estes Express Lines
>http://www.estes-express.com

I have quite a few clients that use 15" monitors with 640X480. That's
what they have and they really aren't interested in upgrading. I was
stuck with one myself for a short while when my 17" died. I found
that people that run 640X480 are treated as second class net-citizens
by most sites. It is really annoying to have to horizontal scroll all
the time. I noticed that some of the biggest and best sites on the
net were still set up for this resolution, however.

As long as there are customers/surfers still using old tech, I will
do my best to accommodate them along with the more advanced users. I
have no desire to lose *ANY* potential users if it can be avoided.

Kevin John Dail