SSL problem with IE on Apache Server (long)

by Tenley Shewmake <ts(at)awebresource.com>

 Date:  Sat, 20 Oct 2001 09:00:00 -0700
 To:  Testing at HWG <hwg-testing(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi,

Hope someone can help with our INTERMITTENT problem. I'm the site
designer, not the programmer, and I'm trying to understand the nature of
our shopping cart problem, and consequences of a possible fix.

It seems to be occurring when moving from the regular to the secure
server. During the ordering process, with MSIE only (both 5.0 and 5.5 on
win 98) the user sometimes gets a dns error message (full text below).
It has NEVER happened using Netscape 4.75. Our web host tech says it
doesn't happen with IE 5.5 on his win2000, but I doubt they tried hard.
It happens anywhere from 10% to 50% of the time for me and the client.
In my investigations I have found these possible fixes, and I need help
understanding the implications.

from http://www.mail-archive.com/modssl-users(at)modssl.org/msg11997.html

from http://www.modssl.org/docs/2.8/ssl_faq.html#ToC49
> The first reason is that the SSL implementation in some MSIE versions has some subtle bugs related
>                            to the HTTP keep-alive facility and the SSL close notify alerts on socket connection close.
>                            Additionally the interaction between SSL and HTTP/1.1 features are problematic with some MSIE
>                            versions, too. You've to work-around these problems by forcing Apache+mod_ssl+OpenSSL to not
>                            use HTTP/1.1, keep-alive connections or sending the SSL close notify messages to MSIE clients.
>                            This can be done by using the following directive in your SSL-aware virtual host section:
>
>                                SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" \
>                                         nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
>                                         downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

The site is at http://www.driednaturals.com/ If you want to place a test
order use a visa card with the number 4111 1111 1111 1111

ERROR MESSAGE

--
Best Regards,

Tenley