RE: professionalism and wysiwyg

by "Demitrius" <iam(at)demitrius.com>

 Date:  Sat, 10 Oct 1998 09:08:24 -0700
 To:  "Ann Navarro" <ann(at)webgeek.com>,
"MIchael Channing wilson" <webmaster(at)lucidmind.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Blah, blah, blah, blah.

I'm the first to admit that I use a WYSIWYG editor, FP98, that I don't know
HTML as well as I could and that I make my living (a handsome one,
thankyouverymuch) creating websites for companies as a one man web shop. But
all this talk about WYSIWYG is rather moot; to wit, these editors *will* get
better over time. The new FP2000 is said to conform to HTML 4 far better
than previous versions because so many users complained that "my web page
doesn't look the same in most browsers."

If memory servers, this whole debate is reminiscent of the PostScript days
in desktop publishing when these new-fangled desktop computers spawned
programs that could do automatically what used to be done "by hand."

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

<sarcasm> I say this whole thing is a conspiracy to provide website
developers something to debate about. Lord knows we have too much time on
our hands to do anything else. </sarcasm>

No, the above tag won't conform to standards, but what the h***.

Me, I'll define "professional" the way the Webster's does;
" exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner
in the workplace
2 a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of
endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer> b : having a
particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier> c :
engaged in by persons receiving financial return.

http://www.m-w.com/

Keep those cards and letters coming in, folks!

Best,
Demitrius >I<