Re: Server-Side JavaScript? (Was Re: JAVAscript)

by "David Meadows" <david(at)goldenheroes.softnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Mon, 21 Sep 1998 01:09:45 +0100
 To:  "Daren C. Robbins" <dcr(at)nextw3.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Daren C. Robbins <dcr(at)nextw3.com> wrote:
[refering to Perl v. JScript]
>The importance is in that at least one of the
>ways will allow for a faster and/or more robust
>solution than possible with the limited possibilities
>with server-side JS, etc.

I don't know enough Perl to make a proper evaluation, but that
seems to be a rather sweeping statement.

Maybe you mean:

    "...will *possibly* allow for..."

Anyway, if one of the ways provided by Perl will produce a
better and/or more robust solution, why bother providing
multiple ways of doing the same thing? Surely this is a
disadvantage, as less experienced programmers may choose one
of the "inferior" methods of accomplishing their goals?

I would be interested to hear (from someone conversant with
both languages) what Perl can accomplish that JScript can't.

(I'm not trying to start a "script war" here, I am genuinely
interested in finding out the relative merits of each
language.)

--
David Meadows [ Technical Writer | Information Developer ]
DNRC Minister for Littorasy * david(at)goldenheroes.softnet.co.uk