RE: Ten Second Delays

by "Demitrius" <iam(at)demitrius.com>

 Date:  Mon, 31 Aug 1998 16:29:41 -0700
 To:  "David Meadows" <david(at)goldenheroes.softnet.co.uk>,
"hwg-theory" <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi,

>All we need is for someone to set up two identical
> sites, one with a splash page and one without, and get everybody
> on this list to visit them and give their feedback on the quality
> of their "browsing experience".

Sounds like a cool idea, on the surface. If you think about it, however,
we're not the audience that counts. It's the target audience of the website
that matters.

I'd bet that most of us reading this list are very, very computer literate.
We know our machines and programs inside out. We're *not* afraid of them.

That's a stark contrast from the majority of web surfers out there.  Don't
believe me? Then ask yourself which ISP has the most subscribers? AOL. Why?
Ease of use. Which other service is experiencing growth? WebTV. Why? Ease of
use.

IMO, it's a mistake to listen to the wrong audience. If your website is
intended for the "average, everyday, run-of-the-mill web surfer", then ask
*them* to comment on a site.

Indeed, some companies already do:

http://www.testnow.com/

I'd *love* to hear what they find out. I wish I knew.

Best,
Demitrius >I<