RE: Ten Second Delays

by "Demitrius" <iam(at)demitrius.com>

 Date:  Tue, 1 Sep 1998 16:06:45 -0700
 To:  "David Meadows" <david(at)goldenheroes.softnet.co.uk>,
"hwg-theory" <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> If Kynn had put a splash page on his Spice Girls site, I guarantee
> that I wouldn't get any further than the splash... hmmm, now I
> think about, I guess that's a case where the splash page has
> served a useful purpose...

Oh, don't get me started!  =)

> Not sure about Web TV, but I think AOL owes their user base to
> their aggressive marketing policy. I have CDs totaling about 7,000
> hours of free AOL use. They spam me with the darn things daily. I
> use them for drinks mats.

LOL! And I thought *I* was the only one who did that! But seriously, even
C/Net voted them among the best. Marketing can *get* the subscribers, but
marketing cannot *keep* them. It's the service that they stay for. It's easy
for the newbie. They even force feed updates to you whether you want them or
not. For the novice, this is a Godsend. For the more experienced, this is a
curse.

I find that if you ask your visitors for feedback, some of them will give it
to you.

For example, I have a little website about Microsoft Image Composer. Log
records indicate that better than 60% of my visitors use MSIE 4.0. So, I use
DHTML and other MSIE tricks because I know that a lot of my target audience
will make use of it. But I also make sure that others won't be hurt by it.
And being a website about a graphics program, and 99% of visitors on Win 95
or Win 3.x, I don't concern myself with Lynx browsers.  =)

To splash or not to splash; that is the question. I did one, tell me what
you think:

http://www.ccidom.com/
Of course, I'll take your opinion with a grain of salt - you're not the
target audience!

Best,
Demitrius >I<