Fw: Fw: Front Pages

by "Leslie J Owen" <leslieowen(at)Prodigy.net>

 Date:  Sat, 29 Aug 1998 20:07:39 -0700
 To:  <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>>I would be interested in knowing the opinion of the people whose day job
is
>>designing for businesses, compared to the opinion of the people who work
at
>>a University, or who design for a hobby. Those groups operate under
>>different constraints.

>You're making some rather broad assumptions about the requirements and
>client base of the individuals posting in this thread, Leslie.

In fact, that was a clear expression that I did not know who had a paying
client base and who did not. It was not a broad assumption about the
requirements and client base of those posting. It was a statement--a very
clear statement, that professionals and hobbyists have different demands. I
create a website on the side for a non-profit organization. I spend as much
time as I choose on the site--just like a hobbyist. If they don't like what
I do, they can get another volunteer to work for free. BTW, that site does
not use java, javascript, large images, a splash page, or any bleeding edge
technology. It loads quickly, and the alt tags include a description.

>Part of the job of professional web developers is client education. Those
>who choose not to, or claim "I'm too busy" are actually doing their clients
>a disservice. The uneducated client is NOT always "right."

>Ann

It's interesting to me how quickly the responses become self-righteous.

I *never* recommend bleeding edge technology. Never. Never. I recommend
solid content, use quality graphics in moderation, etc. A client says, "I
want my navigation to look just like site x." I respond, "I understand, but
that site used an image map. Because of the number of graphics you already
have on your page, I would recommend against using another graphic. Your
download time will increase too much." Guess what. If the client insists on
an image map, the client gets an image map.

In fact, I am approachable,  explain things well and **look out for our
clients' best interests**. This is the comment I hear repeatedly, "While I
have you on the phone, will you explain ________? and this_______? And what
about this _______?" I ***never*** try to squeeze people for money. In fact,
our prices are very reasonable, and I think we do too much for what we
charge. I work 60 hours per week, take work home, etc. I do as much client
education as possible. But I cannot educate every client on every issue. A
client who has paid for a two page website--and refuses to pay more--cannot
have unlimited time from me, from the designer, from the webmaster, etc.

Everyone understands the idea that a hosting provider can limit the storage
space provided with an email account; i.e., you will pay extra if you try to
use your host server to store 25 mgs of email. Why is it so hard to
understand the idea that a person who has paid for a two page site cannot
have 6 hours of tech support/education? The Internet is still very new to
many people--I talk to them every day. They do not understand or know where
the line is drawn, or what is included with the design/hosting of their
website. We know that buying a car works does not entitle us to free gas and
oil. There is an established knowledge base among adult Americans about car
ownership. There is not an established knowledge base about the Internet.
Those new to the Net have very hazy ideas about how everything works. Their
questions are almost endless, and as much as I like our clients, I could
spend my entire day providing free tech support/education for anything
computer-related. Notice I said computer-related, not just Internet-related.
They're not sure where the line is drawn.

It is, in fact, a disservice to my knowledgeable clients to spend all of my
time educating the "new-to-the-net." The belief that I, or any web
developer, can educate every customer on every issue is pie-in-the-sky.

I have been asked for the following free instruction as part of the
development of a small website:

* How do I download and install a program? What's shareware.com? How do you
spell that?
* I want Yahoo! to come up when I log onto the Internet. How do I do that?
* Will you teach me html so I don't have to pay you any more money for web
design?
* How do I upload using Front Page (I explain that I do not use Front Page,
but that Microsoft provides free technical support for the programs they
sell; the response I get is: Well, yes, but I have to pay for the call to
them, and wait on hold. You have a toll-free number, and I don't have to
wait for you.)
* I need you to drive 30 miles to my office and set up the computers on our
network to receive email. (again, this is expected as part of the design of
a two page site; the mention of money brings outrage)
* How do I log on to the Internet, and what is my password? (we are not an
ISP--I say, please contact your provider. They have your password, and can
help you make sure your settings are correct. This was a call from across
the country because the client's ISP makes him wait on hold, so he'd rather
talk to me.)
* I recommend a "visitor" centered approach rather than a "company" centered
approach for websites. I've received this response, "well, then you have to
write the copy if you won't use what I've given you." In fact, I will use
what was given to me. But if you ask me for a recommendation, I'll tell you
to focus on the needs of your visitor.

These questions are all in addition to the normal education:
"You've asked for a dark background and white text. Do you know that if we
use that combination for you, the average viewer will not be able to print
your web page?"
"I understand you like the java animation on whizbang.com. Not all browsers
support java, and it can cause some of your visitor's browsers to crash. I
would recommend against an applet for you at this time."
etc. etc.

Leslie Owen