Re: more on frames

by =?iso-8859-1?Q?Stephan_Brevik_Nedreg=E5rd?= <stephann(at)student.sv.uio.no>

 Date:  Sat, 21 Nov 1998 18:40:37 +0100
 To:  David Fauteux <phobos23(at)hotmail.com>,
hwg-theory <hwg-theory(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

-----Original Message-----
From: David Fauteux <phobos23(at)hotmail.com>
To: hwg-theory(at)mail.hwg.org <hwg-theory(at)mail.hwg.org>
Date: 20. november 1998 23:35
Subject: Re: more on frames

> As for aesthetics, I totally agree with you. Frames are a great way for
>navigating a site. The problem is that it's almost exclusivly used for
>navigation (which can become boring I guess)... There are many other
>uses for frames. Glossary of terms and map are good examples, when the
>reader encounters a new word s/he can click on the word and get the
>definition in the adjacent frame. As for maps they can be used in online
>news articles where the user can get the location of a certain event by
>clicking on a link and the map appearing in the next frames. C'mon
>people use your imaginations!!!

Frames are no IDEAL / GREAT solution. If I'd like a glossary or a map, I
wouldn't want it to occupy a seperate Horizontal and/or vertical part of the
screen. I would like it to stay on top of the window - as a Netscape 4
layer, and letting the user turn it off. That way, definitions would appear
ONLY IF there were any to display, and the user doesn't have to carry the
frame around (or maximize the frame as one does in Opera 3.5).

Btw, I feel a lot of people here are assuming there are no noframes versions
of the sites in question? Surely, pages using frames that include a
NOFRAMES-section wouldn't be difficult to "read" for the blind?

> I think the reason why some people dislike frames is that they are
>overused. I've been to some site where the main screen was seperated
>into 8 or 9 frames... My 640x480 resolution screen did'nt take well to
>that one! I also think people use frame for navigation would be more
>appropriate for a certain site.

True.

> Well, that was my 2cents now it's someone else turn!

Yep, that was my � 0.03 (Sorry to those who can't see the euro sign yet,
btw, Microsoft really blew it with that one.)

STEPHAN BREVIK NEDREG�RD