Re: distributed <SCRIPT>s

by "Travis Wall" <wallt(at)cadvision.com>

 Date:  Wed, 26 Aug 1998 08:48:03 -0600
 To:  "HWG Theory" <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I sent this question to the language list, but did not get a single
>response. As I experienced the presence of some quite JS
>experienced people in this list with my last posting, I hope
>there will be somebody providing an answer to my JS
>question-of-the-day:

    Fair enough young Jedi, if you can sense
    our presense we might as well answer <g>

>Is there a significant difference between putting all my code
>(as far as possible) into one single <SCRIPT></SCRIPT>
>statement, compared to distributing function definitions and
>stuff over several such statements?

    There's really no reason not to put everything
    in between the script tags (except where it has
    to be in the HTML itself). Unless you're site
    is designed to support different browser
    versions differently.

    For example - NN2 supports JS1.0, NN3 - JS1.1
    NN4 - JS1.2. so you could specify the language
    for each of a series of script tags

    <script language="Javascript 1.1">
    </script>

    <script language="Javascript 1.2">
    </script>

    Here the browser will initialise the script version
    it was built for. Of course NN2 doesn't support
    this (at least I couldn't get it to) which provided
    all sorts of entertainment.

    Now if you're thinking about putting your JS
    functions all the way through your site (in the
    midst of the body tags) I'd give some thought
    to the level of readability your source will have
    when it comes time to update it. If you want to
    change one function you'll have to hunt around
    to find it. Also JS integrated with the body tag
    is loaded just like the HTML is (after the 'page'
    is loaded) so you won't be able to do any of the
    dynamic adjustments (no document.write stuff
    which does anything). And it may run into other
    problems.

    Just out of curiosity, why would you want to
    distribute you JS everywhere?

---
Travis Wall, Graphic Designer
Defiance Visual Industries

"design is the tribute art pays to industry"
---     (Paul Finch, Architect's Journal)