Re: Little validation quiz!

by "B. Szyszka" <bart(at)bgrafyx.com>

 Date:  Mon, 10 Aug 1998 13:14:45 -0400
 To:  <jallen(at)thunder.ocis.temple.edu>,
<hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>> There's no such thing as omitting a DTD statement (doctype). It and the title
>> element are totally required tags to make an HTML document. Only. Everything
>> else, including the HTML and HEAD tags, is optional.
>You are confusing elements and tags.
Not at all. The title element and doctype are required, and, as I've said above,
the HTML and HEAD -TAGS- are optional.

> HTML documents require the following elements:  DOCTYPE, HTML, HEAD,
> TITLE, and BODY (FRAMESET).  All other elements are optional.
The HTML tag is optional, and I don't believe that the element is assumed
by anything. The HEAD element is assumed by the title element, and the
BODY element is assumed by elements such as the paragraph, header, etc.,
but correct me if I'm wrong, there's no assuming for the HTML element.

>TITLE are the only TAGS that must appear in every document,
Title is most certainly an element, see:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/global.html#edef-TITLE

> this, because it gives the false impression that HTML, HEAD, and BODY are not
> mandatory parts of every HTML document.
An HTML document will certainly validate with just the DTD statement (DOCTYPE)
and the title element. Everything else, including the body element and tags, are
optional.

--
Bart Szyszka  ICQ:4982727
B Grafyx http://www.bgrafyx.com/