Fw: Fw: Front Pages

by "Leslie J Owen" <leslieowen(at)Prodigy.net>

 Date:  Sun, 30 Aug 1998 13:02:51 -0700
 To:  <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Kynn Bartlett  wrote:
>Wrong!  The client is not always right, and if all you live for is
>their check, they're going to be disappointed in you and what's
>worse, they'll _know_ that you're only interested in their money,
>not in their overall image on the web.
>
>And while the checks may help in the short run, in the long run
>you're only hurting your own business.
>
>Anyone else want to take this to -business? :)

This IS about theory--it's about the assumptions made by the designer about
what is suitable design for the web, and who should determine design of a
site.

We acquired a client who had a beautiful website--well designed, good use of
color and white space, reasonable download time; overall, it was very
professional. The designer gave the client what was good for them. I told
the client, "I really like your website. Is there a reason to have it
re-designed?" The response: "It's so boring. I want whiz-bang whistles, and
that designer won't give it to me." Very nice client too. So who won in that
situation? The designer lost a client because he/she relied on their theory
that the designer knows what is best for the client, and designed around
their personal preferences.  The client paid $$$ to have a site designed
that did not accord with their preferences. The client just moved on to a
company that would **listen** to them.

If personal theories are so strongly held that a person does not permit
other designers/developers to disagree, and refuses to hear clients'
requests, that person should be designing web pages as personal expression,
not as a commercial venture.

Leslie Owen