Re: no subject

by "David Meadows" <david(at)goldenheroes.softnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Wed, 16 Sep 1998 20:18:08 +0100
 To:  "Suzanne Corcorran" <Suzanne_Corcorran(at)countrywide.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Suzanne Corcorran <Suzanne_Corcorran(at)countrywide.com> writes:

>As I said before, I stand corrected on the DOCTYPE statement.  I
>fat-fingered...

We all type too fast sometimes... I just didn't want anybody else
to be mislead.

>However, as for it being required, according to the W3C it is
not.  It is
>required that if you use it your HTML validates.

I think it must be required. From the HTML 4.0 Specification
published at http://www.w3.org/TR/PR-html40/ , section 7.2:

    "HTML 4.0 specifies three DTDs, so authors must include one of
the following document type declarations in their documents. The
DTDs vary in the elements they support."

I know it's not really stressed, but I think the words "must
include" suggest that it is required by the standard. This is the
only reference I can find, however. It is (obviously) not found in
the DTD itself. So if anybody has a definitive answer I would like
to hear it.

--
David Meadows [ Technical Writer | Information Developer ]
DNRC Minister for Littorasy * david(at)goldenheroes.softnet.co.uk