Re: Using pre-made graphics

by "Mihai Jalobeanu" <jalobean(at)itm.mw.tu-muenchen.de>

 Date:  Mon, 8 Dec 1997 11:30:17 +0100
 To:  "Hwg-Theory (E-mail)" <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Chris Rickard wrote:

>  Okay, time for me to throw my two cents in here.  Unfortunately it
doesn't
>work this way.  If the idea behind a copyrighted material was what the
copyright
>dealt with, the publishing industry would have been ended a long time ago.
How
>many books do you see about HTML, JAVA, love, war, history?

If it's nothing new in those books than they are just plagiarism. But, of
course, there is something new in them. :-)

>Each one of these
>is an IDEA that many different people have made use of.  Copyrights protect
>against plagarism of a unique presentation of the idea, not the idea
itself.

The "unique presentation of the idea" it's a (maybe new) idea by itself.

>Personally, I think its a good thing.  Stealing things, whether it be an
image
>or a format, isn't moral, but if we can't use the ideas behind things we
see,
>then we're all in trouble.

I agree absolutely. There are such IDEAS that are in the public domain.
Those are the big ideas that should be (must be) shared.

>The reason why I say this is there are people who
>have copyrighted their web sites.  Therefore, if it was the IDEA of a web
site
>that was copyrighted and not specific elements of that web site ...

Specific elements could be objects as well as new and small ideas.

Regards,
Mihai