Re: Browser testing

by simone(at)genesisnetwork.net (Demitrius)

 Date:  Fri, 23 Jan 1998 18:00:05 -0800
 To:  <tryne(at)sympatico.ca>,
<hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Catherine,

>I  was wondering what is the best way to test your Sites with all the
>browsers, NS 2.0, 3, 4, IE, AOL?

Get Browserola! Browserola is the world's first and only "browser emulator";
It's a Windows program that enables Web authors to see how their pages look
in a variety of Web browsers without having to have those browsers
installed.
http://www.codo.com/browserola/index.html
Too Cool!

>What about the AOL browser - I
>don't even know what it is.

That's more complicated. AOL 2.5 and older 3.0 have their own browser which,
I believe, is a modified Mosaic. AOL useres can elect to download MSIE 3.02
as a free upgrade. It still looks like the AOL browser, but it really is
MSIE. New computers with AOL installed already have the upgrade, older
computers with older software do not. How many have what? Who knows?

>Does anyone have a complete list of all the
>browsers that should be tested and where to get them and how to organize
>them ????

Sure.
http://www.browsers.com

Also, get QuickRes from the Microsoft website. It's a free utility that
allows you to change screen resolutions on the fly, without having to
reboot. Very handy.
http://microsoft.com/search/

Hope this helps.

Regards,