Re: Animation on a website

by simone(at)genesisnetwork.net (Demitrius)

 Date:  Sat, 4 Apr 1998 11:18:50 -0800
 To:  "Brian Sinclair" <sinclair(at)inficad.com>
 Cc:  "HWG Theory" <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Load time is the big reason developers don't like animation.  Clients like
>it because it looks "alive" like you say, but my opinion is that animation
>drives the average surfer away.

I *knew* I forgot to mention something! Yes, I agree that fat animations
(20k+) that take a long time to load with a dial-up connection are a big
mistake. That is *not* what I'm talking about.

I'm speaking of animations that are around 15k in size or less. You can do a
lot in that size range.

I'm curious about your comment, "my opinion is that animation drives the
average surfer away." What do you base this opinion on? I'm not trying to be
argumentative, I truly want to understand the basis for that point of view.
What facts are you referencing that I'm missing?

Regards,
Demitrius >I<