Re: Stickin' to m' guns

by "Chris Wilson" <chris(at)cjetech.co.uk>

 Date:  Wed, 8 Apr 1998 19:26:15 +0100
 To:  <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi,

>It is not just poor taste, in some cases it is against the law.  I might
>also add that if any of you read the newsletter April is accessibity month.
>I have the impression that some people in this disucssion look upon
>themselves as as an Elite group.  Who only design for certain audiences.
>IMHO this is a non productive attitude at best.  Excluding  anyone for any
>reason such as disability or race or language s not the wisest course to
>take.  I caution against that attitude.  The fact is that in the commerical
>market place excluding groups of people can put you out of business.

and

>If you offer goods and services you must be ADA compliant over the web.
The
>DOJ has ruled on this.  I have the ruling if you want it, email me I will
>send it to you.
>
>If you are an educator your web pages must be compliant.
>
>If you are an educational institution your web pages must be compliant to
>the ADA and other laws or you can lose ALL of your federal grants.

I am English, and as such these laws do not apply to me, however I am
interested in how I am supposed not to exclude people because of language?
I can only speak one language, and as such and web site that I write will
exclude the 75%, or whatever of the world that don't speak English.

Also if, on my website, I were to use the phrase "tosspot" would I be
breaking these laws, because it seems that this is not a part of the
American language.

What if I were to use language such as "A Nicol Prism is such that from a
calcite crystal produces plane polarised light" A lot of people would not
understand it, would this be allowed?

If I was putting my collection of paintings on the internet, would I have to
make a detailed text description of the brushwork for the blind?

If I was putting my rock group on the internet, would I have to describe
every scweeling guitar solo for the deaf?

If I put up a web site with flash animations on it, then I will put up a no
flash version.  Is this discriminating, in that the blind and slow of
computer will not be able to see one?

I could go on, but I have better things to do,

Chris