Re: Legal Rulings [WAS: Re: Stickin' to m' guns]

by "David Meadows" <david(at)goldenheroes.softnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Thu, 9 Apr 1998 06:56:37 +0100
 To:  "Brian Sinclair" <sinclair(at)inficad.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>>>I will simply say that commercial web pages must be accessible to all.
As
>>>per the ADA.  There has been a DOJ ruling on the subject.  You can have
>>>legal action brought against you if your sites offer goods or services
and
>>>are not accessible.  Since you have chosen to make your attitude public,
>>you
>>>would not stand a chance in court.
>>
>>This poses another interesting question. I live and work in the UK. If I
had
>>public pages up, they would be hosted on a UK server.
>
>I don't think the ruling would affect you, since it applies only to sites
>which sell or promote the sale of goods and services.  Also, I don't think
>a US decision can be applied to a UK-based business.
>Brian Sinclair

Even a UK-based business that offered goods or services for sale in the US?
If I have a web site advertising goods, that implies I will sell them
anywhere. My potential market is the WORLD WIDE Web. Or is my market the
World except those parts of it that deems my advertisements illegal? Even
though my products are not illegal?

Trying to apply a single country's laws to the web opens an entire can of
worms, far beyond accessibility issues.

>>DOJ has ruled on this.  I have the ruling if you want it, email me I will
>>send it to you.

I lost track of who originally posted this, but yes please, or supply an
appropriate URL for it.

Thanks.

David Meadows
Technical Writer
DNRC Minister for Littorasy
david(at)goldenheroes.softnet.co.uk
"Vision or Imagination is a Representation of what Eternally Exists"
    -- William Blake