A Computer in Every Pot.

by simone(at)genesisnetwork.net (Demitrius)

 Date:  Thu, 9 Apr 1998 16:55:48 -0700
 To:  <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>,
"Jeff Foust" <jfoust(at)MIT.EDU>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>The better question to ask is why the rest of the American population
>still do not have home computers.  If the answer is that they're too
>expensive (almost certainly true for a substantial fraction), then the
>"problem" of getting people to upgrade hardware and software will continue
>for the foreseeable future...

I say cost is, anymore, not the main reason. I say that the majority of the
populace:
a) Do not believe they need one (a computer).
b) They are scared of them and won't ever buy one.

Enter Set Top Boxes. IMO, the reason they're selling so successfully is
because they resemble a cable box. They are not intimidating and they have a
familiar look and feel.

This brings up a whole new set of circumstances for us, as website
developers. Screen widths are 540 pixels, dark backgrounds are encouraged,
background music is encouraged, flash enabled sites are encouraged, etc.

In other words, many of the things we think are "iffy" at best are
encouraged for this Set Top Box audience.

It's enough to make your head spin.

Regards,
Demitrius >I<