Re: Flash, Glitz, Images Off

by simone(at)genesisnetwork.net (Demitrius)

 Date:  Sat, 11 Apr 1998 12:07:42 -0700
 To:  "Jim Tom Polk" <jtpolk(at)camalott.com>,
<hwg-theory(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I have found that most people like a little flash. I have also found a
>animosity in my students ( Adult Education courses on Windows, Word,
Access,
>HTML, Internet, UNIX, and Works (grin)) toward sites that are just simply
>''too much''. Most of the time, the flat out get confused. Which takes us
>back to Jakob Neilson's observations and data: too much will drive people
>away.

I agree with you here. Too much of anything is outside the bell curve and
will always be reserved for those on the edge - by definition. This,
however, was not the point I was advocating. I think animation (gif, flash)
in moderation - and applied judiciously - serves a real purpose in website
design.

>I have been personally fascinated with the concept of having the ability to
>have collapsible menus on a page. You know like the ones on Microsoft's
site
>a lot. You click on the text, and the list or text magically appears. Click
>again, and it collapses. Wonderful, I think. I just don't know how it would
>be accepted by users who, as you noted, are wary of changes.

I agree here as well. I, too, really like those menus, which by the way, are
featured on www.msnbc.com as well. I wonder how their site is doing? Now
*there's* a real flashy site. Java, GIF animation, Active-X (I think) for
those menus; all on the same page.

So, group, what do you think? Visit the site (you'll be asked to download a
plug-in, but it's painless, trust me) and let's hear from everybody about
MSNBC. Is it too much? Or just right. Did their theory about website design
and features hit the mark?

Regards,
Demitrius >I<