Re: Uses for CSS?

by "David Meadows" <david(at)goldenheroes.softnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Tue, 26 May 1998 11:51:24 +0100
 To:  "Ben Z. Tels" <optimusb(at)stack.nl>
 Cc:  "hwg-theory" <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>, <hwg-standards(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Ben,

I am reluctant to post this as it's veering way off-topic. Maybe we could
follow it up on -theory, if anybody is interested.

>English? A formal language? That's a good trick. Care to show me how it's
>done?

There is a "formal" version of English which is used (although not widely, I
believe) in technical writing.

It's called Controlled English. There is a basic vocabulary of about 500
words. To this, you add a "technical" dictionary, which is customised your
project. (This is a little like programming language, with a set of reserved
words plus a set of calls to your own library functions.)

Controlled English can produce massive savings when your work is translated
to another language. All ambiguities are removed, the syntax is more clear,
and there is a smaller dictionary to translate. Of course, it should also be
easier for an English speaker to understand.

Incidentally, software is available which will check your writing for
compliance with Controlled English. Sort of like HTML validators, I
expect...

David Meadows
Technical Writer
DNRC Minister for Littorasy
david(at)goldenheroes.softnet.co.uk

"He spends hours on his own, he's still learning.
 Learns to wait by the phone, ideas burning"
     -- Tony Clarkin, "Back Street Kid"