Which Server Platform?

by "David Meadows" <david(at)goldenheroes.softnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Wed, 24 Jun 1998 22:42:34 +0100
 To:  <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>,
"Robin S. Socha" <r.socha(at)control-risks.de>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Ok, I guess a discussion of web servers is valid for the theory list. If you
are writing server-side stuff, it's going to be platform-specific and you
need to make sure that it is future-proof. So here goes:

Robin S. Socha <r.socha(at)control-risks.de> writes:
>will "run" under NT. But who uses NT for mission critical applications
>these days?

Uh, you are joking aren't you? Do you actually read any of the IT trade
papers? Every week, every day almost, another big corporation announces a
committment to NT.

NT will take over the world. I neither condone nor condem this. I merely
state it as an inevitable fact. It doesn't matter how much you hate
Microsoft, you can't deny that they *do* take over any market they aim for.

Recently Compaq (you may have heard of them? Used to make laptops or
something...) took over Digital (maybe you heard of them? Small company,
used to be big in the mid-range market...). This week, news broke of Compaq
pledging to push NT Server as their network server of choice. Compaq and
Digital have a *huge* client base between them, the sort of clients that NT
is targetted towards.

Sorry, I have temporarily lost the URL for that story. But here's a couple
more reasons why NT will dominate the world in the coming years (these are
just stories that crossed my desk today... I have a million others if you're
interested).

     http://www.isdmag.com/edabenchmark/
The latest benchmarks published by ISD magazine, pitting the newest Windows
NT machines against much more expensive Sun Ultra 60s, showed the NT
platform significantly faster.

     http://www.microsoft.com/corpinfo/press/1998/Jun98/NTWorkPR.htm
Customers are purchasing almost 200 Windows NT Workstation licenses every
hour, resulting in more than 15 million licenses sold to date, a 36 percent
increase in the past seven months.

My prediction: Within 2 years (5, tops) your ISP will tell you that they are
switching to NT and you will have to port all your server-side scripts to
that platform.

Don't be caught out! I don't care how wonderful Linux is, stick with it and
you will feel like the folks that bought Betamax...

>Oxymoron of the decade: Microsoft Works.

lol... I *do* like this, though :-))

David Meadows
[ Technical Writer | Information Developer ]
DNRC Minister for Littorasy
david(at)goldenheroes.softnet.co.uk
"Imagination is like the sun. The sun has a light which is not
 tangible; but which, nevertheless, may set a house on fire."
        -- Paracelsus