Re: Entire site in Flash?

by "David Meadows" <david(at)goldenheroes.softnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Sun, 16 Aug 1998 16:39:13 +0100
 To:  "jayse" <jayse(at)earthlink.net>
 Cc:  "Chris Allermann" <cwa(at)webspan.net>, "Luke Opperman" <luko(at)rocketmail.com>, "hwg-theory" <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>, "Anita Adendorff" <xerxes(at)ntx.co.za>, "Kristi Shahid" <KShahid(at)pointbinc.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
jayse <jayse(at)earthlink.net> wrote:

>>What does your HTML site say? "Sorry, but you can't see what I
>> want you to see. Go somewhere else"
>
>what the HTML counterpart is - just a version stripped of it's glory -
>sometimes. Rather like a plaintext version of a site that also has a
>high bandwith graphics version.
>
>Sites made only to present Flash content - like Gabocorp's - tried the
>plain version, but like you say... WHY?? (He later scrapped the HTML
>version.)

If some kind of pretty multimedia/Flash format is essential to present
your information, I think I would consider a plain text site with a
link: "Click here to download our kewl stuff in a Macromedia Director
file [600MB]".

This way you get the best of both worlds: a quick, indexable site that
can be viewed in any browser, with the "full treatment" available to
those users who can be bothered to wait for the horrendous download
times (and which, incidentally, they can view again and again and show
to all their friends).

Anyone tried this? Does it suit you needs? Does your audience (whoever
they might be) like this approach?

--
David Meadows [ Technical Writer | Information Developer ]
DNRC Minister for Littorasy * david(at)goldenheroes.softnet.co.uk