Re: Opening new window?

by "David Meadows" <david(at)goldenheroes.softnet.co.uk>

 Date:  Fri, 28 Aug 1998 20:28:44 +0100
 To:  <xtreme(at)mail.com>,
<XpertWeb(at)CyberServices.com>,
"hwg-theory" <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
George Konstantakis <xtreme(at)mail.com> wrote:
>When all you guyzz try to get payed  from a banner
advertisment
>and your payment is based on click-through strategy with a ad
>tracking system then you will understand why not to open
links
>(like baners etc..) in new windows.  New window method
destroing
>completly the ad tracking systems since there are no history
in the
>browser and the tracking system canot define where visitor
came form
>wich of course means you don't get payed for the visitor you
send to
>their web site.

I sympathise with your position, as I wouldn't like people
taking away from my income, but I'm afraid that I personally
LOATHE AND DETEST banner advertisements on a web page. They
are about as much use as a TV ad. Worse, in fact, because TV
ads give me time to make coffee ;-)

I don't think I have ever clicked a banner advertisement. I
won't swear to that: I may have at some point but I can't
remember when or why. I have certainly never made a purchase
as the result of a banner ad.

Does anyone have any statistical (or even anecdotal) evidence
for how effective banner ads are?

--
David Meadows [ Technical Writer | Information Developer ]
DNRC Minister for Littorasy * david(at)goldenheroes.softnet.co.uk