Re: Layout ideas?

by Aidan <aidan77(at)rocketmail.com>

 Date:  Mon, 8 Dec 1997 00:52:06 -0800 (PST)
 To:  Michael Potter <mpotter(at)sympatico.ca>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Frankly you seem quite mad. Mad as in nuts, crazy, odd, etc.
Dont take it personal, but your message just dont make
much sense.  And not to mention the echelong is quite
different than your site. If you think they copied you as
you say, you are...quite mad.  L9r

---Michael Potter <mpotter(at)sympatico.ca> wrote:

> At 11:24 AM 12/5/97 -0600, Tarik Dozier wrote:
> >On Thu, 4 Dec 1997, Aidan wrote:
> >
> >> Anyone seen any good layout designs other than the
generic
> >> sidebar navigational buttons?  I know that format is
> >> pretty easy to do, but I like to be a little more
> >> original. [...]
> >

> Hi Aidan and all,
>
> I will have to be short on this message, as I am using
my neighbours
> telephone line to dial into the Internet. Actually, I am
using his account
> as well - I saw his user name and password on his desk
one day.  He doesn't
> know it.
>
> On my way back from lunch today (I was on the bus - but
I don't pay for the
> fare - they never check!)  I was considering your
question.  I was in the
> same situation as you.  My boss wanted me to create a
killer Web site.  So
<http://www1.sympatico.ca/> to
> see what they have been up to.  They must be doing
something right for them
> to get all those hits.  So, I used their layout to make
our site:
> <http://www.echelon.ca/>   Check it out, they look
different but the same
> as well! - I would say that even though they had their
site up in 95 and we
> just put our site up this year, ours is more....
"original".

> I have to stop.  I don't take a bus to work.  I don't
steal my neighbours
> phone line, I don't use his account, I don't work for
Echelon - I work for
> Sympatico.  Echelon used our design to create their
homepage.  After
> reading my "story" what do you think?
>
> Sympatico is the busiest Web site in Canada.  One day I
received some mail
> from a friend that noticed Echeclon's site and how it
looked remarkably
> similar to ours.  Basically they ripped off our site and
changed the
> colours. They even grabbed the same comment tags and
all.  They are not
> breaking any laws but they are stealing from us.  As a
technical developer,
> it makes me angry that my work has been used by a
company that has not
> compensated me in any way.  It is flattering though.
>
> Basically, just know that in the long run, if you use
someone else's work,
> it will catch up with you.  If you follow the pack and
fail to strike out