Re: Best viewed with...

by Luke Opperman <luko(at)rocketmail.com>

 Date:  Fri, 9 Jan 1998 13:57:24 -0800 (PST)
 To:  Demitrius <simone(at)genesisnetwork.net>,
hwg-theory <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
How about this-

I think that little upgrade buttons are extrememly helpful
in increasing the rate at which the overall browser level
rises.

When i came to this conclusion i was searching for a
justification for not getting really annoyed when i see
these buttons.  That said, i still would never consider
putting these on a site of my own, and i plan to continue
to design middle of the road sites for commercial reasons.

Nice to see so much activity on this list,

LukO

==
One friend in a lifetime is much; two are many; three are
hardly possible.
--Henry Adams

---Demitrius <simone(at)genesisnetwork.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >But I also see that sites that demand users upgrade their
> >browsers to take advantage of their sites are actually
> >doing a service to the web community.
> -------<snip>---------------
> >Without these sites, with their little buttons saying
> >"This site is best viewed/needs NN4/IE4" the rate at
which
> >people upgrade their browsers would slow down
> >tremendously.
>
> I agree to a point, but it depends what the purpose of
the site is. If it's
> a personal website, then using plug-ins and the latest
4.0 HTML tricks is
> okay, but what if you are creating a website for a
business who's main
> audience does not have the necessary plug-in and is
using NSN 2.0, 3.0 and
> MSIE 3.0?
> 4.0 exclusive tricks would be viewable only by 34% of my
viewing audience.
> Not good enough. On the other hand, utilizing tricks
that don't necessarily
> display well in "old browsers" will be acceptable to 92%
of my viewing
> audience. I can live with that.
>
> So for me, it depends on my audience. But I just don't
think it's a good
> idea to be putting animated links back to NSN or MSIE
suggesting an upgrade.