Re: Entire site in Flash?

by Luke Opperman <luko(at)rocketmail.com>

 Date:  Thu, 13 Aug 1998 15:10:13 -0700 (PDT)
 To:  thefuggimator(at)geocities.com,
hwg-theory <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi again-

I am a little surprised by your comment that they are
"incredible bandwidth hogs". Flash Central's main page is
a total of about 40K, quite acceptable. Gabocorp is rather
less excusable at 188K, but for the entire site (it may
have been better if they broke it into several movies, but
oh well).

However, the best part is that Flash is streaming,
wonderfully streaming. So, although FlashCentrals first
movie is 17K, it starts displaying after 3 seconds on my
machine, as it downloads in the background.

Keep up the conversation, i am sure someone has an argu
ment against it that i can agree with.

Luke

---Jeffrey Frazier <thefuggimator(at)geocities.com> wrote:

> Greetings, all...
>
> > I was wondering about the general consensus (not that i
> > expect there to be one :-) on creating an entire web
site
> > in Flash, ala http://www.gabocorp/ or
> > http://www.flashcentral.com/
>
> Well, normally I'm all for the vlagrantly excessive use
of technology
> (as some of you may recall), but this is quite an
extreme case. I would
> not recommend it. While Gabocorp and FlashCentral are
both amazingly
> stunning sites, they are incredible bandwidth hogs.

===

                - { luke opperman } -
       - { http://irc.i-link-2.net/opperman/ } -
             - { luko(at)rocketmail.com } -