RE: Letters

by "Kevin Horner" <khorner(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Thu, 10 Dec 1998 10:58:46 PST
 To:  hwg-theory(at)mail.hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Mario Figueiredo wrote:

>>I am sure when the typewriter first came out many were worried the
>>faster way of producing would ruin writing. It probably became an
excuse
>>for spelling mistakes and mistaken meaning. If you are not willing to
>>think before you write-then why do it?
>>

>Bernie,
>
>I don't see where the last statement fits on the overall of your
message.

The point is that proper grammar and spelling is important in writing
for newsgroups, webpages, letters to the editor, etc. because you don't
personally know your audience.  Slang and abbreviated writing is
appropriate for friends and acquaintances.  To assume this same
relationship with your audience, jeopardizes the writer�s credibility
and professionalism (lack of education theory, attention to detail
depravation, etc.).

If a statement is writen with speeling mestakes and gramitckal errors,
you mite git the meening, however, the messige is not as affective, or
smoothly redable.

Poor writing is equivalent to someone speaking with spinach stuck
between their teeth.  Listeners and readers concentrate on the spinach;
not what is being said.