Re: Navigation Bars

by "Susan Petracco" <susandaniels(at)hotmail.com>

 Date:  Tue, 27 Apr 1999 10:12:19 PDT
 To:  phobos23(at)hotmail.com,
hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
I think it's because you are designing for different resolutions, so
you never know exactly where the right edge is? Is it 600 pixels from
the left edge, or is it 1400 pixels? You could certainly use a
percentage-based table to always move it to the right, but then you
lose control over the layout of everything else on your page.

Also, consistency is very important on the web. If you see links on
the left side, you know exactly what to do--even if you've only been
surfing for a week. Like when you get in a car, you know the
button/handle to put the windows down will be on the door. It doesn't
need to be, but car makers know that's where you'll look--because
most other cars have it there.

I am curious to hear what others say on this subject.

--Susan