Re: Waking the list up (was 'elo ?)

by Luke Opperman <luko(at)rocketmail.com>

 Date:  Tue, 2 May 2000 10:21:07 -0700 (PDT)
 To:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
> Also, on the Flash
> thing, has everyone given much thought to how these beautiful pages are
> going to render on a handheld device? That, as I understand it, is the
> purpose behind creating CSS files to handle formatting, separate from
> the content.

Yep, accessibility is my number one problem with Flash being used for entire sites.
The text is simply not accessible: not for searching, not for text-based browsers,
not for handheld, etc. There are other problems I have with it, but they are more
with specific implementations than Flash itself. (how many times can that navigation
button spin around after clicking it before I go insane? Oh, and shape-tweening
letters was neato the first few times I watched a logo squish across the screen.)

CSS and other tech that take underlying clean HTML 4.0 and make it attractive and
interactive are a utopia in comparison...except for the browser compatibility issue.
If SVG (Something Vector Graphics) ever becomes an accepted standard, it may be the
replacement for Flash. Though Flash is quickly becoming a defacto standard on it's
own...

That's all I can think now,

Luke

=====
You did something because it had always been done,
and the explanation was "but we've always done it this way."
A million dead people can't have been wrong, can they?

      -- (Terry Pratchett, The Fifth Elephant)