Re: HTML 4.0

by Zach Shewmaker <webmaster(at)imws.com>

 Date:  Tue, 02 Dec 1997 12:32:33 -0800
 To:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 01:38 PM 12/2/97 -0500, Kelly Burhenne wrote:
>     > *All* colors are handled by CSS. BODY attributes like background,
>     > text, links are no longer valid in HTML 4.0. Not only colors are
>     > gone but also ALIGN, WIDTH, HEIGHT, VSPACE, HSPACE. They are ok,
>     > however, in HTML 4.0 transitional.
>
>     Could someone please clarify. This kind of slipped by without much
>     response, but it sure is news to me. What do you mean background,
>     text, links, width, height, etc. are no longer valid???

Oh, I think he read a bit too much of the HTML4 draft. I'm sure what he
meant to say was, according to the draft the use of most of the previously
mentioned stuff is deprecated. (Which does not mean invalid, but only
discouraged.) So, I suppose if one wants to take the draft a bit too
literally (and screw all browsers that don't support CSS), I suppose you
can just leave all that stuff out. =)

>     And what does this mean: "They are ok, however, in HTML 4.0
>     transitional."????

Hrmm..translation: It's okay until the HTML 5.0 draft comes along. :)

Zach Shewmaker
GTE Internetworking