Re: Best viewed with...

by Zach Shewmaker <webmaster(at)imws.com>

 Date:  Fri, 09 Jan 1998 11:37:53 -0800
 To:  hwg-theory <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi all,

Luke, I agree in part. If the site degrades nicely to whatever browser I'm
using, then a site can suggest whatever browser it wants. I don't many
people would ever download a new browser to view any one particular site,
but it may bring attention to the fact that there is a new browser to those
people that don't keep up to date with all the new browsers (like us
webmonkeys would). If it wasn't for those sites with the best viewed
notice, some people would never even know that there is a new version of
their favorite browser.

doesn't really even attempt to force a person to try a different browser.
On the other hand, I think it just lets the viewer know that the site will
probably work and look like the designer intended if they happen to be
using that particular browser. Like I mentioned aforehand, as long as a
site degrades to whatever browser I happen to be using at the time (I tend
to use more than one, depending on my current needs(or if one is crashing
too much)), they can endorse whatever browser that floats their boat.

Okay...just my two cents, spend it as you wish. :)

Zach Shewmaker
GTE Internetworking, Powered by BBN
http://www.gte.com/
http://www.gte.net/