Re: Best viewed with...

by bat_geor <bat_geor(at)prometheus.hol.gr>

 Date:  Fri, 09 Jan 1998 19:43:33 +0200
 To:  Luke Opperman <luko(at)rocketmail.com>,
hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 08:24 =F0=EC 9/1/1998 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi all-
>

>Without these sites, with their little buttons saying
>"This site is best viewed/needs NN4/IE4" the rate at which
>people upgrade their browsers would slow down
>tremendously.  There would still techies, etc. who would
>upgrade as soon as possible, but the majority of users
>would not see any advantages to upgrading, because
>everything they want to do is accomodated by their current
>browser.
>
>A change in viewpoint for me, how about for you?
>
>LukO

The "Best viewed" thing has some benefits though:
It increases the competition between the two major browsers (NN4/IE4) and
both companies (Netscape/Microsoft) try to make a better program, add more
stuff (either useful or not), etc. The good thing is that users enjoy more
benefits from their browsers.

There is also another problem. Many sites use HTML tags that are "read"
only by X browser and not anyone else. So, they have to tell that it is
best viewed with X. Or they use new technologies like ActiveX and VBScript
that can only be "read" by IE.

This is a big problem, as many people do not prefer the X browser, but
another. What I think it would be best is that browser software companies
should agree and make AT LEAST the HTML tags in every browser.

          _    ___      ___    _    _
         | |  /   \    /   \  | |  / /   Jim JMK Batis Web Site:
         | |  |  | \  / /| |  | | / /    http://jmk.simplenet.com/
  _      | |  |  |\ \/ / | |  | |/ /    =20
 | |     | |  |  | \__/  | |  | |\ \     E-mail Address:
 | |_____| |  |  |       | |  | | \ \    bat_geor(at)mail.hol.gr
=20
 JMK Productions: http://jmk.simplenet.com/prod/
     Hot FreeWare Applications (Web Design tools, Active-Xs, etc.)
     JMK HTML Author rated 4.5/5, JMK JavaScript Author rated 5/6

 JMK Web Designs: http://jmk.simplenet.com/wd/
     Web Design by a professional in the best prices, including Java, CGI,
     Active-X, etc.

 Player of Aalynor's Nexus - http://maelstrom-consulting.com/ (Char: HJMK)
 Member of HTML Writers' Guild - http://www.hwg.org/