Re: Stickin' to m' guns

by Zach Shewmaker <webmaster(at)imws.com>

 Date:  Wed, 08 Apr 1998 13:10:49 -0700
 To:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello everyone,

Okay, show of hands..how many people have seen the debate of graphics v.
text way too many times now? That many eh?

I must say, I never understood the debate. Maybe I'm just stupid. But, it
seems to me that the only thing I've seen written in this thread that
actually makes sense was the email below from J.R.K. Rao. To reiterate what
he said (since most people apparently ignored it), why is it that content
and presentation are mutually exclusive to many a web designer?

It would seem to me that striking a balance between function and form is
where the importance lies. I would wholeheartedly agree that function,
content and navigation are the most important aspects of any web site,
hands down. (Except in the case of artistic web sites, which do have their
place also. But I don't think that's really the topic of this thread.)

I mean, does it hurt anyone to put alt tags along with their images to
allow visually impaired persons or text-only browser persons to view the
site fully? (Aside from the carpal tunnel) Using text-only for text-only
sake(as well as graphics for graphics sake) is just...well silly. If you're
building a web site for the masses, take some time to make it as accessible
to as many people as possible. Trust me, it won't kill you. On the other
hand, if you have a near text-only site, spend some time to jazz it up a
little. It won't kill you or your users(unless you have a very specific
target niche such as a site for the blind only or what not). Spending a
little time to add accessibility or a jazz can greatly enhance the site to
all concerned and quite frankly will be viewed as a more professional work.

Anyways, if I don't shut myself up now I'll never stop typing.

Take care everyone and 'appy designing,
Zach Shewmaker
imws
net.Poetry - An imws production.