Re: Front Pages

by Zach Shewmaker <webmaster(at)imws.com>

 Date:  Thu, 27 Aug 1998 22:36:34 -0700
 To:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to give my two cents on the subject of splash screens. IMO...

Generally speaking, splash screens serve no purpose and I would almost
always recommend against them. In fact, with a recent client I convinced
them to remove a splash screen that already existed. In another example, at
GTE's web site we were asked to add a splash screen to emphasize a new
branding campaign they were running. It only ran for a week, served its
brief purpose and then disappeared. (Note: I recommended they never put the
thing up, but they pay the bills.) ;)

But, that doesn't mean it never has a purpose. In corporate, functional and
informative sites, which consist of the majority of sites out there, they
are usually bad. But in some entertainment sites and most 'artsy' sites,
they are allowed some creative freedom that allows for splash screens.

Just my opinion.

Zach Shewmaker
GTE Internetworking

At 09:14 PM 8/27/98 -0700, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>You'll notice that NONE of the major websites, including those for
>magazines, use a "cover page" or "splash page".  You don't go to
>Yahoo and have to download a 35K image before viewing the site,
>nor do you have to see a "cover" to cnn.com.
>
>In fact -- the 60 Minutes website doesn't have a cover, either! :)
>
>>And inasfar as bookmarking the content page goes, that's fine
>>with me. They would have already read and understood the warning page.
And as for