Re: Web Design

by Ryan Fischer <fischer(at)email.unc.edu>

 Date:  Sun, 29 Nov 1998 23:09:20 -0500
 To:  Jan Theodore Galkowski <jtgalkowski(at)alum.mit.edu>,
Dan Cash <dmcash(at)facstaff.wisc.edu>
 Cc:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org

At 09:49PM 11/29/98 -0500, Jan Theodore Galkowski wrote:
>But, I daresay, the current hodgepodge of CS or SS JavaScript,
>cum Java, cum ASP or Livewire, may be in vogue but is hardly
>the best _technical_ means of slicing and dicing.

Exactly.  Java is hardly reliable, and ASP is proprietary (among other
technological slurs), even though it does have its place.  I don't know
much about Livewire, so I can't comment on that, but I would definitely
recommend you immerse yourself in Perl after you learn the basics of HTML,
CSS, and JavaScript/JScript, but nothing else is really necessary, IMO.

>I argue, often and quietly, that HTML 3 is about where one should aim,

Surely you jest!  HTML 3 isn't even a standard!  Authors should write to
HTML 4.0 Strict when possible, but in reality, the standard they should
shoot for is HTML 4.0 Transitional.

>and the rest should be a combination of smart
>database design and a CGI-level interface to it, with mix-and-
>match pieces of pages kept in the database.

And there enters the Perl, along with the database of your choice.  I've
heard SQL is pretty nice and I'm just starting to work with it, but there
are plenty of others to choose from as well.

>But, oh, hell, I'm not with it.

Now, I wouldn't say that!  ;-)

--
 -Ryan Fischer <fischer(at)email.unc.edu> ICQ UIN - 595003