Re: UPPER or lower

by "Chuck McGee, Jr." <cmj(at)airmail.net>

 Date:  Wed, 21 Jan 1998 10:28:05 -0600
 To:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:17 PM 1/21/98 +0200, Errol Atterbury wrote:
>I know it works either way but which is more *politically correct*,
>should tags be written in <UPPER> or <lower> case? Or doesn't it matter?

Hello Errol,
That all depends on your political affiliation ... ;-)  As you so astutely
put it, "I know it works either way", this puts you in a position to choose
/your/ personal preference.  On the other hand, were you to be in a
collaborative effort, dealing with say ... two or more coders, then the
choice would be what is commonly agreed between the team.

My own personal opinion ... I like to have them uppercased because of the
visual aspect and because it's "clean".  Fortunately, I have an editor that
colors the code AND converts the tags with a key stroke, so I don't have to
worry about manually capping as I go.  Another good reason for me is for
posterity ... If I haven't been in the code for a awhile, say a few months
... I'm not as familiar with the territory ... so to speak, having capped
tags makes it easier to move around and get familiar.

As I said ... politically correct should not come onto play ... it's what
works best for you, or your team if it were.  I can tell you this ... If I
pick up work from a previous designer (80% of my revenue) ... the first
thing I do is cap it.

best,
cmj

------------Web Site Development & Consulting-----------
Chuck McGee, Jr.	http://web2.airmail.net/cmj/
---------------Member of HTML Writers Guild----------------
 Area Guide Manager - Theory / Critique / Standards