Re: Keyword effectiveness

by Bev Parks <cloudbow(at)primenet.com>

 Date:  Mon, 23 Feb 1998 16:08:15 -0700
 To:  <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 05:10 PM 2/23/98 -0400, Steve Granter wrote:
>I have a client that insists that I use sexual words as keywords on their
>site. This client's  site has absolutely nothing to do with sex, but they
>think that using sex keywords will give their page more hits. Is this an
>effective strategy for getting more hits?

I wouldn't do it for ethical reasons, and it has nothing to do with sex.
Wouldn't this be deceiving the client's customers (assuming it is a
business site)? And if it is a business site, the web savvy customer who
views the client's source will see the sex words in the keyword list and
possibly, no - probably, be put off by it.

To me, using unrelated keywords just to draw hits is no different than
those sweepstakes envelopes you get in the mail that claim "you have
absolutely won 10 million dollars!" only to read the small print inside
that states "if your number is the one we've chosen". Or, another analogy,
would be marketing's bait and switch tactic.

All are shady practices IMO.

Beverly Parks
cloudbow(at)primenet.com
http://www.cloudbow.com