Re: Animation on a website

by Brian Sinclair <sinclair(at)inficad.com>

 Date:  Sat, 04 Apr 1998 13:34:36 -0700
 To:  simone(at)genesisnetwork.net (Demitrius)
 Cc:  "HWG Theory" <hwg-theory(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I'm curious about your comment, "my opinion is that animation drives the
>average surfer away." What do you base this opinion on? I'm not trying to be
>argumentative, I truly want to understand the basis for that point of view.
>What facts are you referencing that I'm missing?

I was referring to the "fat" animations that are prevalent on some
websites.  If it takes too long to load with a dial-up connection, people
will leave.  Small animations are great.  They lend a certain something to
the website.  My comment was badly worded, and should have been more direct
as to what I was referring to.  I base that opinion on my own personal
experiences, as well as those of my friends and colleagues.  I'm sorry I
don't have some hard numbers to back that up, but I prefer to keep my sites
simple.

Brian Sinclair
Senior Assistant Webmaster
Self-Help & Psychology Magazine
http://www.cybertowers.com/selfhelp/
ICQ: 4167685
Member HTML Writers Guild, International Webmasters Association,
Association of Internet Professionals