Re: Animation and Stickin' (Here's how to do it right)

by Brian Sinclair <sinclair(at)inficad.com>

 Date:  Wed, 08 Apr 1998 19:09:08 -0700
 To:  "Frank Arnold" <franka(at)svpal.org>
 Cc:  hwg-theory(at)mail.hwg.org, franka(at)svpal.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
There's a problem with the suggestions that Bobby makes.  They go to the
absolute extreme.  One of our assistant webmasters ran it on our site,
which we have tried very hard to fit the needs of the disabled due to its
content, and was told two things.

1.  Use no tables
2.  Make a text-only version of your site.

Considering that there are thousands of pages on this site, this seems a
little extreme.  We had a surfer that complained our site wasn't
Bobby-compliant.  It was the decision of the senior design staff that we
would keep doing what we were doing, and ignore this web machine.  Instead
we checked the whole site with all versions of Netscape and IE, Mosaic,
Lynx, and a browser for the blind that one of our lead staffers has for
this very purpose.

I agree that the Bobby machine serves an excellent purpose, but I won't
follow its instructions to the letter just to get a stupid star on my site.
 This doesn't mean I've joined the Fuggimator with his "Damn the torpedoes,
full speed ahead with technology" opinion, but I can't put all my faith in
the workings of a single web machine.  If I get excessive complaints from
the visually-impaired (one in two years so far) then I'll think about
changing.

Brian Sinclair
Senior Assistant Webmaster
Self-Help & Psychology Magazine
http://www.cybertowers.com/selfhelp/
ICQ: 4167685
Member HTML Writers Guild, International Webmasters Association,
Association of Internet Professionals

At 03:16 PM 4/8/98 +0000, Frank Arnold wrote:
>OK, folks...
>Here is how it should be done.
>Check your code.
>Frank Arnold