Re: Flash, Glitz, Images Off

by Brian Sinclair <sinclair(at)inficad.com>

 Date:  Wed, 08 Apr 1998 23:24:26 -0700
 To:  Joshuwa Jenkins <colossus(at)lightstream.net>
 Cc:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 01:25 AM 4/9/98 -0400, Joshuwa Jenkins wrote:
>Hmm...
>
>If all this current technology "turns off' a large portion of the populus,
>then why does technology(web based in this case, don't go overboard) advance?

Simple.  Because they can.  And some slick marketers can convince anyone
that they "need" this technology.  Ever listen to the wording of Intel's P2
ads, and Microsoft's ads (pick one)?

>Gerald Ford was the first to realize that a car everyone can buy will make
him
>more money instead of a car only therich can buy. As in the case of computers
>lately.

No, he wasn't.  He was president of the United States from 1974 to 1976.

>Where I live PII 300 w/32megs SDRAM are under the two grand mark.

Last time I checked, two thousand dollars was a lot of money.  The only
people that have that much sitting around ARE well off or have a lot of
credit.

>There are litteraly 100's of small mom and pop ISPs who are all managing to
>stay afloat.

But they are slowly being assimilated, like the Borg, as telephone
companies put the squeeze on ISPs and raise costs, forcing them to either
go out of business or sell out to a large national ISP.  If you have a
small local ISP, find out who really owns them.

>My point if "most of the population" dosen't like new technology why am I
>making so much cash developing Web pages for them? Why does a fourth( ? can't
>remember the exact #) of the american population have a computer in there
>home's

Most of the population is not opposed to new technology, but rather, the
poor implementation of it.  Designers that overdo it on the "bells and
whistles" are what make us think that there a substantial opposition to new
technology.  A page can look great if the "bells and whistles" are
tastefully implemented and don't overshadow the information the designer is
trying to present.

Brian Sinclair
Senior Assistant Webmaster
Self-Help & Psychology Magazine
http://www.cybertowers.com/selfhelp/
ICQ: 4167685
Member HTML Writers Guild, International Webmasters Association,
Association of Internet Professionals