Re: Fw: Front Pages

by TMU as - Robert =?iso-8859-1?Q?=D8degaard?= <ro.tmu(at)telemarksnett.no>

 Date:  Fri, 04 Sep 1998 11:23:36 +0200
 To:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hello everybody

At 08:51 04.09.98 +1000, Michael Abramovich wrote:

>Ann Navarro wrote:
>
>> At 03:28 PM 9/3/98 -0500, The Wise One! wrote:
>>
>> >The ADA does not apply to the web. Period.
>>
>> The Department of Justice would beg to differ with you.
>>
>> Relevant citation included in a lecture by Cynthia Waddell, city of san
>> Jose (CA) ADA compliance officer: http://www.rit.edu/~easi/law/weblaw1.htm

I've been watching this tread, and I kinda end up with one question. Okay,
I'm not American, nor do I make pages for American clients, so whatever
laws you have in the US it don't apply to me. *BUT* do we really need a law
to make things easier for everybody? We are all human beings and we should
try to make things easy, or at least make the information readable for
everybody, or have I missed the point 100%? Are the human race gone so far
that if it isn't the law it don't have to be done?

I don't say that every homepage on the net should be viewable in Lynx or
whatever, but the pages that contains information that can be useful to
everybody should be. Personal homepages can use as much Java, frames, and
other stuff they want, I never go on the net to view them anyway, and a
picture and the name of the family dog isn't information that is important
to everybody.

>and the DOJ is now the law making body for the world is it? And if it isn't,
>the precious W3C is? Please, lets have some reality. If I want to have no alt
>tags because I don't like the way they appear in version 4 browsers if you
>leave your mouse over an image, thus obscuring the image,then I'll have no
alt

Don't HTML 4.0 require a alt text?

(Yikes, that wasn't one question, but 3, hmm, okay)

------
Robert