Re: Flash 4.0 vs. Java? Part 2.0

by Jan Theodore Galkowski <jtgalkowski(at)alum.mit.edu>

 Date:  Mon, 19 Jul 1999 07:21:17 -0400
 To:  Jeffrey Frazier <jeffrey(at)idesignlabs.com>
 Cc:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 08:45 PM 7/18/99 -0700, Jeffrey Frazier wrote:
>Hello, everyone. Jeffrey Frazier again.

[snip]

>I don't understand why the use of Java as a serious "programming
>language" for web-based applications is even considered. For these
>purely background uses of programming, (those which have no graphical
>effect on the browser), it is much simpler (and faster) to use a more
>common CGI language such as PERL, C++, or Python.

Common or not, Java has features which make it appropriate for
programming-in-the-large AWA programming-in-the-small.  C++ is
used for many of the same purposes but using it is like trying
to drive with both hands tied behind one's neck.  PERL is simply
not a serious language for any but throwaway applications--  One
might as well use AWK.   I can't judge Python: Don't know it.

[snip]

  --jtg