Re: HTML Theory

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Sat, 24 Jan 1998 23:15:13 +1100
 To:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>John M. Allen <jallen(at)thunder.ocis.temple.edu>
>>HTML 2.0 and 3.2 have been obsoleted. You should not be using them. All new
>>web pages should use one of the 4.0 DTDs.

eva <eva(at)algonet.se>
>Neither HTML 2.0 nor 3.2 is obsolete. Both are valid versions of HTML. For
>many HTML 2.0 is still the "reigning" standard. W3C recommends, however,
>usage of HTML 4.0.

OK - assuming that the page degrades gracefully from a user viewpoint,
which is better - a 3.2 document that validates or a 4.0 that doesn't?

I suppose what I am basically saying is "why change my 100 pages that
already exist as valid strict 3.2".

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Gilbert Chandler College
http://ariel.unimelb.edu.au/~gilbert