Re: professionalism and wysiwyg

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Sun, 11 Oct 1998 17:44:57 +1000
 To:  "Joshua W. Scott" <jwscott(at)chaos.ph.utexas.edu>
 Cc:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
Thanks Josh :)

At 02:12 11/10/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Personally, I use lynx...gets me all the content I need...really speeds up
>download time, too...;)

Cynical view:
While _I_ quite like the speed of Lynx, most firies prefer images to
accompany the sites they visit.  You see, www.playboy.com lacks the same
impact when viewed with Lynx :)

My view:
The point I was trying to make is that not all of our audience has the same
ability that we (the technologically advanced web designers) have.  We tend
to fall into the trap of believing everyone has the same access and
understanding we have.

I recently received a complaint because people could not find a relevant
link from my site despite a large graphic icon stating "Home Page
Available" and a text link on the first line of the page!  Go figure!

Anyway, we should be more tolerant of our potential viewers as a whole.

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne
http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au