RE: fashions and contradictions

by Christopher Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>

 Date:  Wed, 03 Mar 1999 19:38:12 +1100
 To:  Stephan Brevik =?iso-8859-1?Q?Nedreg=E5rd?= <stephann(at)student.sv.uio.no>
 Cc:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 04:25 3/03/99 +0100, Stephan wrote:
>> In some cases things might go wrong. Suppose you use a white
>> letter in a box
>> with a black background. If you use CSS for the font and HTML for the
>> background the text will only be visible if the browser supports
>> CSS.
>
>I haven't seen that yet ;) - Odd example. A related problem is of course
>using background-color with IE3, as IE3 does not support background-color.
>Simply using background would suffice to work around that problem, though.

I've had enough bad experiences to steer clear of CSS for a long time yet!
Here are three reasons why I'm not bothering with it:

1.  MSIE3 interprets only half of the CSS specifications.  That meant the
entire page was written in white on a white background _ONLY_ for MSIE -
all other browsers were fine.

2.  NN 4.01-4.02 - cannot handle linked stylesheets and therefore crash the
browser.  Unfortunately my Faculty has a substantial proportion of browsers
with 4.01 installed.  Of course, if NN doesn't work - they use IE
(generally version 3 :(

3.  I don't need CSS to validate (admittedly transitional) to HTML 4.

For now, IMO CSS is still too buggy - I'll stick with the tried and true
methods that reach virtually 100% of my audience.

Chris Higgs <c.higgs(at)landfood.unimelb.edu.au>
Institute of Land and Food Resources
University of Melbourne
http://www.landfood.unimelb.edu.au