Re: Informing visitors?

by Figment <cpowell1(at)mindspring.com>

 Date:  Tue, 16 Dec 1997 13:20:51 -0500
 To:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 12:49 PM 12/16/97 -0500, John M. Allen wrote:
>There is probably nothing that you can say that will get people to download a
>new browser just to view your site. Those who are interested enough in the
new
>stuff have probably already downloaded the new version; those who aren't,
>won't.

In general, I believe that.  My site, though, is targeted to a specific
group of people (regulars on a newsgroup) who visit quite often.  A couple
of them already have upgraded their browsers because of some strange "File
not found" message that Netscape 1x gives.  (If anyone can figure out THAT
problem, I'd be ETERNALLY grateful!) I've also had a couple of cases of
people who had never surfed the web (personally I found newsgroups and
mailing lists on the web - not the other way around!) who did so just to
see the site.  I fully realize this is an unusual case, and I'd treat the
whole subject differently if it was for a different kind of site.

I definitely don't EXPECT people to upgrade, but I would like to let the
regulars know that if they do, they'll see some interesting new stuff.  At
the same time, I don't want to come off sounding obnoxious like some of
those "you have the wrong browser" sites out there.  That's why "IE4
Enhanced" or "DHTML Enhanced" (I think that last one would get some blank
looks... <g>) came to mind.  I could just put a notice under my "What's
New" section, but I don't usually leave things in there too long...

At 10:01 AM 12/16/97 -0800, Felan shena Thoron'edras wrote:
>I wouldn't, I think, mind seeing - on, say, the main page - a link that
says 'A
>DHTML version is available'.  That's not saying 'best viewed', just 'oh,
>and those of you interested in seeing things in this sort of setup, here
>you go'.

Yeah...  Something like that! <g>

Cherie
---
Visit T.O.R.C.H. - The Official R.T.A-F Collector's Haven!
The official Web site for the people of rec.toys.action-figures,
and for anyone who still plays with toys.
http://cpowell1.home.mindspring.com/RTAF/home.htm