Re: Splash Pages [was Front Pages]

by Kynn Bartlett <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>

 Date:  Fri, 28 Aug 1998 18:11:37 -0700
 To:  Virginia Blalock <skatefan(at)visions.simplenet.com>
 Cc:  hwg-theory(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
At 06:18 p.m. 08/28/98 -0500, Virginia Blalock wrote:
>Ok, I am showing ignorance I am sure, but.. redirecting people transparently?
>I am about to move too my sites to one server and anything to make this
>move easier for me and my visitors would be good. Feel free for anyone to
>reply OFF list since this is not really appropriate for theory.. unless
>there is a theory behind redirection methods.

To touch on it briefly:

A good web server will allow you to redirect from an arbitrary 'old
address' to a new one.  This can be done via the webserver config
itself, or by other mechanisms such as an .htaccess file.

Now, not all web hosting companies provide this.  They're not willing
to either (a) put something in their config file just for you, or
(b) use a server that allows .htaccess to redirect URLs transparently,
or (c) allow you to use .htaccess in this way.

In my opinion, those web hosting companies are providing sub-standard
service.  However, many of them may simply be ignorant of the fact
that they _can_ do this; or their customers may be ignorant if they
_do_ provide this kind of access.

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn(at)idyllmtn.com>             http://www.idyllmtn.com/~kynn/
Chief Technologist & Co-Owner, Idyll Mountain Internet; Fullerton, California